Thursday, April 1, 2010

In About-Face, Marines Embrace Web 2.0

Great article but they had me at "draconian." I married two weeks after my 19th birthday and 13 days before my husband was shipped to Viet Nam. (I never claimed to be good at decision making.) I never knew where he was or what he was doing. In theory, if his letters contained anything they could be intercepted and used by the enemy or I might have loose lips. Where do they get off completely isolating troops and why did they think this wouldn't affect moral? I'm just saying, how many totally messed up veterans does it take to reconsider the ramifications of policy?

In contrast, Daddy Bush's Gulf War was televised. Iraqi troops admit they watched TV and received info on whether bombs were falling short...etc. But the troops still were not allowed to use online tools to keep in touch with their friends and family.

Thank God the military has decided that allowing troops to tweet, FB etc, may keep them engaged with those they love, providing comfort and support when they need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment