Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lov'n Pata Pata

Perhaps you’ve noticed the Honda ads with the captivating music. They have out maneuvered those of us who have mastered the automatic brain tune out at the first sign of a commercial. Every time the ad ran I would turn up the volume and repeat, parrot-like, “I LOVE this song.” Now that I’m looking for excuses to peck my way around Web 2.0 this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Turns out I’m not the first person impressed by this song. This is Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba. Harry Belafonte discovered her in the early ‘60’s. She performed with Paul Simon’s Graceland tour. (I LOVED it) She’s been nominated for Grammies and performed at the Lincoln center. I’m just saying I could have noticed this talent a long time ago.

OK, there is more talent out there than any one person could have time to appreciate. It’s nothing an evening spent on Google and YouTube can’t fix.
You can listen to Pata Pata by clicking in the right column. Move the furniture back and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Miriam Makeba surfaced during the folk revival of the 60's. I was in high school then. She was big, along with a woman named Odetta. Powerhouse voices.

    ReplyDelete